Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Little Airplane Productions Email Interview with Josh Selig


One of the most important fields in the entertainment industry is all about preschoolers.  They are there pinpointing specific things preschoolers need to know. Things like being proud of being oneself, building and maintaining relationships, working as a team, understanding the world around, overcoming fear, sharing, learning from everything, setting and accomplishing goals, and the list goes on. . . and on.  

Parents trust the people that makes preschooler shows because we see the smiles of joy and excitement as we watch our children watching the shows and then later acting out certain scenes or make-believe their own scenes with the same good principles with their toys later. We hear them talk about the show or certain aspects of it.  We love the feeling that our children and learning and our families get to enjoy the results.


My kids sometimes go to this amazing place, Little Airplane Productions, Inc. where they make extraordinary children's shows such as The Wonder Pets; Go, Baby; and Oobi  to help with research.


After going there sporadically for the last four years for research, we were invited to come to see a sampling of their newest preschool series Small Potatoes.  My children were thrilled. The show is about four hilarious, musical potatoes with amazing hair. The music was all different kinds and all geared for child enjoyment. Chances are, if you have a preschooler or will have one in the near future you'll see this show in the next year accompanied with a lot of laughter and singing from your preschooler.


I finally got the nerve to ask the very busy president of the company some questions. I had a much longer list, but I compressed it as much as I could bear and then sent it to him. Minutes later, he answered my email and all my questions.


Ladies and gentlemen I proudly present my email interview with many awards winning, Mr. Josh Selig, founder and President of Little Airplane Productions, Inc, weekly column writer for KidScreen Magazine.
1. What got you interested in doing what you do?

I first got interested in children's television while working as a writer on "Sesame Street."

2. When did you decide that you would do what you do?

I always liked making things, but I did not start making my own shows until my thirties after I had done many other jobs in television, including writing, directing and producing.  Creating shows brought all of the skills together for me.


3. Do you want to do more in the future or would you like to change paths?

I am happy doing the work I do and I'd just like to continue making shows and films for kids.


4. How do you get your ideas?

My ideas mostly come from life.  I just try to pay attention to all that goes on around me and somehow the ideas just pop up like mushrooms.


5. When you are writing does what you write make you laugh as you write or do you at times have to stop to laugh and then write? I was laughing all through Small Potatoes so I cannot fathom your being able to write everything without stopping every now and then to have a momentary guffaw.

Yes, sometimes if I really like a joke I will laugh out loud.  But not often.  If you do that too much people think you're crazy.


6. What inspires you to action when you feel unmotivated? You do have times like that, right?!

I usually just try to do something else when I'm feeling unmotivated.  I try to never force myself to do creative work when I'm not in the mood.  Usually the mood to make things will return after a while.  Creativity is like a cat, you have to give it space and allow it to come to you.


7. Is this your dream job? If not, what is your dream job?

I think this is my dream job.  I feel very fortunate in that way.


8. What kind of hours do you and your team usually work?

My team usually works from 9:30 am - 6:30 pm.  I usually work a little longer.


9. When and how did you know you had talent in writing?
I have always loved words but I have never felt particularly talented as a writer.  I think I'm more of a hard work type than a gifted type.

Thank you Josh!

1 comment: