Saturday, January 12, 2019

Illumination and Humility

It was during the second week I had an epiphany, thanks to T.C. You see, I was so anxious not to take much of his time, seeing that he was super busy, and he was always surrounded by people that had questions for him, that I would talk as fast as I could and probably not very loud.

I tried to only ask questions when everyone else I had asked said, "That's a T.C. question."

Finally, not being able to understand me, T.C. stopped me and said, "Melanie, I can't understand a word that you are saying. Your words are slurring together. Please slow down and talk normally so I can understand you."  

Photo from Janelle Anderson.  I'll bet you a quarter that each of those people in the photo were waiting to talk to T.C. and were just standing by waiting patiently.  

That request was both illuminating and humbling and in no way disparaging. 

It was also something I could totally do.

I took a deep breath and forced my eager words to slowly come out of my mouth with distinct diction and a bit of a prayer that I would be understood.

It worked.  

I was so thankful to be understood.

It's the little things, people.


No comments:

Post a Comment