Wednesday, February 15, 2012

NY Fashion Week

On Saturday, I did something I never thought would happen. I went to the New York Mercedes Benz Fashion Week. Can you believe it?! I hardly can.


My friend Whitney and I went because she was invited and I got to tag along (for free--heehee). I found out later the tickets are worth between $200-400. What a great day!

I wore some clothes that I generally feel really comfortable in, because I clearly was not going to be seen rather to see and the fact of the matter is I don't think I own an item of clothing I would consider high fashion.  So I wore what I liked and made me feel comfortable and called it good.


The first show the clothes were amazing, but I had this very bizarre feeling that most of the people that were coming into the room looking at the models and everyone with a condescending and smug eye and were frankly afraid to smile at anyone for more than a fraction of a second.


I will admit that shocked me a bit and mine fell off for a brief few moments, then I remembered, I don't know any of these people. They can feel sick to their stomachs and show it on their faces, but I feel great and I am going to show it.  If you know me, you understand that in most circumstances I have a smile perpetually glued to my face.Plus, they may have been giving me a funny look because obviously my bangs decided to do something creative on my head without my knowing it.


The models did amazingly well to not smile, but I think they wanted to, a lot. I'll admit, I really wanted to see if I could sit there long enough to make the solemn faced models smile, but I didn't want anyone in the fashion industry to think I was looking at their profession as a joke, so I refrained.  I think they were grateful. . . because I think I could have done it.

The smile, or maybe my bangs, made the security people a little wary of me and I feel fairly certain they called me in, "Hey, there's a lady with old shoes here-- and -- she's smiling with wild hair. Somebody get her out of here."

That last part, I think actually happened because we heard something about it later



 Then we went into the courtyard-ish area of the fashion show place at  Lincoln Center.  There were different mini-shows of products. I got some free lip gloss, shampoo and conditioner, water and a plastic pepsi straw (designed by Jonathon Alder--now I have a designer something). Everyone was chatting away. On the screen it showed the shows in progress and advertisements for the sponsors (absolutely key to fashion week). There were many people there.  Some were waiting to buy tickets to the shows.  There were even some high fashion-dressed children there.


Then we went to another show.  It was just like all the ones you see in the movies or in the magazines.  There were front row seats that had a beautiful red boxes with a gift scarf in them, the second row had a green program introduction as well as the list of all the outfits.

The models were practicing when we came in and my friend and I were fairly sure they were wearing the fashion clothes, but it was their own clothes; which was a pity in a way,  because there were some clothes we actually owned--and I was hoping I actually had something nearly high fashion. And we found out we were standing by a world famous model, Carol Alt.

The people filed into their seats and the photographers went wild over a bunch of people (you can see them talking to each other and taking pictures with their I-phones in the front row behind the models). I'm not sure about the red head, but to the right of her is Carol Alt, then Matthew Settle and Kelly Rutherford (who came and took a picture of the people sitting in front of us).

The feeling in the room was electrifying.The air of excitement grew until you could almost taste the anticipation. People sat near us, like mothers with their teenage daughter-model-hopefuls, and many fashion hungry people, like us.

When the lights went dark the music started and the first model stepped out it was better than a movie.  We did like we'd seen other people do in movies talked about the clothes, "Oh I love the asymmetrical tweed pleated dress. Hmm, could I wear that?" "That's going to be on Pinterest next week with a self how-to, just watch, and I want to make it." "See the way that jacket falls on that girl, perfect for a girl like me."    "I would love that if it had sleeves."  "Add 8 more inches onto that skirt and I'd wear it in a second." And when the last model walked out in her silk green dress I gasped, it was gorgeous, even if a few adjustments would have to be made for me to wear it.  :)

The designer, Son Jung Wan hugging a Matthew Settle.
Believe me, pictures and movies do the shows no justice--being there is a whole thousand levels above anything you could watch on the fashion sites. The mood as I left the second one left me with a feeling of, "Now you've seen something amazing. Go on, go create something too."  Which may be odd to some, but with my current state of life applied fairly well.

Advice for future fashion shows:
  • Get as close to the models as you can appropriately. Really get into the joy of it. Don't care what other people are saying or how they are looking at you or others. I didn't in the first one, so I didn't get the great dose of enthusiasm and pizzaz factor as I did in the second show.
  • Bring your best camera and an extra battery (I didn't and I really regretted it)
  • Wear your nicest clothes, coat, and accessories
  • Absorb everything, it's NY Mercedes Benz Fashion Week for goodness sake
  • Research well-known fashionites beforehand
There were thousands of beautiful people there and these thoughts kept coming to mind as I was there: see this and this. Also, for the record, I desperately need a well-known-person-recognition app for my phone.

You can watch this and pretend you were with us.
  



1 comment: