Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Now You See Me Movie

Day 2 -- Friday Night.

About Me-ish
You may as well know something about me. I love to listen to "ending credits."  Especially the wordless ones.  It's not that I enjoy watching them, but I love listening to the music.  The best of show, if you will, because many of the great uplifting moments of the show are woven together into the final moments for the final you-know-you-liked-it invitation as the watchers watch, leave the theater or turn off the movie in their DVD/blue ray players.  You can turn on some music and read this if you like. It may make it more exciting!

What does that have to do with the filming on Day 2?  Well, nothing much except that the same joy that I have listening to the music was replayed when I was watching and attempting to absorb each great moment.  The location (now scratched off my bucket list), the lights that made awesome cookie cutter shapes in the sky that blasted constantly myself and the other extras, the helicopter that soared over us for awhile with the orb camera one the front (another bucket list thing scratched off), but especially watching the director, camera people and the crew bustling around putting things into place and trying to imagine their goals and perspectives and what it looked like on the screens they were glued to during the filming as well as doing my utmost to not look into the camera lens when it was exactly where I was supposed to be looking.


Lighting .101


They had a little trepidation in talking to me, their head lighter was there and he listened and acted like he was going to answer my questions then he turned around and acted like I wasn't talking to him. After that the guys kind of shut up and wouldn't really talk to me.

But they told me that they had a blonde light up.  They told me that for a film of my hopes I would probably need a red head and a couple of tween lights.  The red heads are smaller than the blondes and tweens are smaller than either.  They also told me the key to having a great crew is to become friends with a good one when they are just starting out and stay good friends, so they want to work with you. :)


Before they started filming for the second half of the night it began to rain and they released us for the night.  Many people that lived in New Jersey were unable to go home until the next morning because the trains and buses stop going there for the night around 1 a.m.

I had really hoped to talk to the director to ask a question at least, but the opportunity never presented itself.  But I met another director/cinematographer that recently made a short.  He told me that his ten minute-ish short cost around $5,000 which he used a single credit card so he could track all his expenses.  He talked about the importance of a good script and truly being passionate about what you are doing. Thanks Nate.


So day two I tried to learn and understand all I could. . . in the few hours we were there.

No comments:

Post a Comment