Sunday, August 22, 2010

I met a reality star

Last Tuesday, as I watching them film "White Collar" I was talking to a girl that I think was an extra--but I am not 100% sure. She was telling me about her life in the film/media/webcasting realm. It sounded tough and like an eat or be eaten sort of situation.

She has her own web series and recently became a reality star--on "24 Hour Restaurant" on Food Network.

She told me the importance of going into the field with a business plan in mind. Look into each opportunity with a discerning eye and figure out before accepting if it is in line with your end goal.

My end goal of this adventure is to really see how it is to work behind the camera. How is it to use all the tools of the trade? What drives these people to work crazy hours? What is it that is so alluring? Why isn't there any information available about people working behind a camera, except for some text book that is likely years old pre-publishing? How do we learn about it? Is it good for us to see the magic removed from the film and to see the media as it really is? The list of questions goes on and on.

Yet, when I go and I cannot help but sit and watch fascinated for hours even at what some consider mundane tasks of resetting for a film shoot. I can recognize that it gets tiring after the millionth time. But right now, I just feel blessed being able to go and watch.

Do I expect to join a crew and work like a dog? Nope, not at all. Do I expect to become and extra and stand around pointedly waiting for directions? Maybe for a day or two (I think it would be really fun), but I am not sure it would happen in the next week. Do I think I'll become a movie star? No way, Jose! I love my privacy. I love my family. I love my life. I feel blessed in every aspect. I don't know if fame and I could get along. I might end up with a black eye or something. Money and I on the other hand . . . we'd get along just fine.

Do you want to know why I do what I do?

See here.

No comments:

Post a Comment