Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What I learned. . .



Once upon a time there was a crew filming in Madison Square Park. The sun was shining, the swallows were--swallowing. The air was sweaty. Nearly everyone there was either enjoying the filming, enjoying the sunshine, rushing to do their tasks at hand, or were utterly focused on the "scene" at hand.

So do you want to read what I found out? Despite what you may be thinking, I was really there to learn all I can about filming a television show. I just couldn't resist about writing about the very flattering VIP treatment. I also must admit I liked the shocked faces around me when I was summoned. It was so out of the ordinary for me, I couldn't help but like it.

Jamie, the guy in the purple shirt gave me a s'quick (super quick) run down on his camera. What a great HD camera with a 35 mm card and a 12 x zoom lens. Plus it was attached to a marvelous ride on a dolly track and a screen.
Does that make you wonder what family pictures would be like with a camera like that. You'd have to add theme music and have a script for family reunions. Uncle Stan--that broccoli that is nearly woven into his beard after the feast that is highlighted when the Thanksgiving flag football game is on and he gets tackled by Uncle Ned. You slow down the film for effect and you see the broccoli fly across the field and land in Aunt Nelly's beehive hair. (This is just a for-instance-situation. I do not have an Uncle Stan or Ned or Aunt Nelly with beehive hair).

Okay, okay--back to the day. After a few minutes, Jamie decided it was time to hand the question-answering to someone else. Randy, one of the camera assistants for the day talked me through what she knew. Then they all had to leave. I went and asked questions to other members of the crew.
Here are a few of the people I met, in the camera department:
Bally Grip -- shot creator
Camera Loader: Film loader/supplier
Follow Focus: follows the camera (I think)
At one point I actually got to hear the director direct. This is what he said, "Okay, I see the track going here with the long lens. Panning, panning, paaanning." I felt special to be allowed to eavesdrop.


When I asked some of the people if they were doing their dream job, Jamie waxed philosophically eloquent and said something to the effect of, "Whatever you are doing something is always going to look better to you. For example, your husband, what does he do?" I told him. "He probably wants to be doing something different."

Could he read that about my sweetheart, through me, without ever seeing my hubbie? He's probably some kind of genius.
Upon being asked if they are doing their dream job, one or two smiled largely and said, "Yes." Others looked both ways and told me what they wanted to be, rather secretively. I'd tell you, but I don't want them to feel their trust has in any way been misplaced.

Part of me wants to go back in two years and see what those people are doing, just so I can see if they are closer to their dream job. Part me is thinking they most likely will be a step or two closer, if not living their dreams.

It was very interesting to talk to the extras. The people in the video below were so friendly. They decided to be extras because they had retired from their regular jobs, but they wanted to make a little money and they were being green leaving their homes and the electricity they may have used if they had decided to stay home.




I liked watching the boom microphone switch back and forth. On both sides of Ms. Thomason and Mr. Bomer were the cameras I was telling you about. So much work goes into each and every shot. Each small scene takes 20-50 people doing their job, and we the viewers, never see them.

Generally filming a tv show takes between 7-9 days. White Collar, they film usually in about 7 days (quite exceptional). They sometimes call it an episodic.

Adam Goldberg is the guest star of the week.

Andres is the parking official.


The poor P.A.s had no chance of stopping walkers from crossing the streets and the shots. A big part of me wanted to run across the street and start gleefully telling the people to stop in their tracks and enjoy the moment of filming across the street, but then I would have gotten in the shot.

When they are done for the day they say something like "Martini time" and/or "It's a wrap!" After a long day those are the words that the crew people look forward to most.

No comments:

Post a Comment