Thursday, August 19, 2010

Premium Rush, August 19


Today I went to watch Premium Rush I saw (not spoke to) the director for all of 3 seconds. Then I went and started to talk to the people. Then they broke for lunch. I came back an hour later and began to ask questions, but the moment I asked, "May I speak to you for a moment" one of the assistant directors (at least he claimed to be one) came to me and asked me several times if I was a reporter. I told him so many times, nah-I'm a blogger. But he didn't believe me.

Then he said, "We've given you our publicist's number please contact her if you have questions. Please stay over there and do not bother the crew." He wanted to continue and I felt like giving him a doughnut with a fly in it, even though in my heart of hearts I knew he was doing his job with all his might. I held up my hand, smiled my surest possible smile, told him I understood and went to the side to write and try to figure out how I could possibly turn the situation into any sort of opportunity.


Part of me wants to lie and say condescendingly, "I'm from the head haunchoes. Buckle up bud, I'm scrutinizing everything on the set."

Then I would throw back my head and belt out an evil sounding laugh. But I'm not going to do that. But it is tempting. It's the guy with the orange vest hanging out of his pocket.

I wrote for awhile. I did a lot of thinking. I talked with people. I endured second hand smoke for a little while. I observed passers-by. I observed that the longer the people were out in the heat the more it seemed like they began to melt--hair, expressions, etc. People are so interesting.

I was amazed at the amount of machinery they had for filming a stunt scene. Mr. Gordon-Levitt was there riding his bike with the safety of a helmet and his stylish bike lock chain wrapped around his waist.


They had at least 3 cameras. One of them was bolted to a motorcycle. They had a remote camera-person that was riding in the van. It was interesting to see the two different extra cars. When one signs up to be an extra--there is a spot to volunteer one's car as a car for an extra. The 20-minute re-group and re-set-up for a 1.5 minute or less shoot.


I met another OLV (on location vacation) user. It's the website I use to find the shoots. I love meeting them. We often find each other because we're the ones that stand there for more than five minutes. We're also the ones that know "all" about the films before we get to the film sight. Sometimes the people are professional photographers and they are more than willing to tell me how they find the shoot sight and I ask them if they leave comments.

1 comment:

  1. Mel, I love this new blog! I'm so jealous that you have been to so many sets. If we were still in NYC, I would come with you every time! The closest I ever got was a movie premiere in Lincoln Square that had Denzel Washington--but we had to go in because our own movie was starting, so I missed all the stars. I only saw the pictures online afterwards. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete