Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Today, I signed up to be an extra.


So I did it. I finally did it. I applied to be an actual extra. . . (I'll just give you a moment to let that sink in).

I walked to the subway. Went through the turnstile. I got to the building, checked the time (I was early--yay). I walked into the building. I asked the doorman the time. I got on the elevator and went to the 24th floor. I turned right. I walked in the doors. Then I smiled a large smile. A lot of the feelings of fear, excitement, dread, and other assortments of feelings seemed to wash over me. I was doing it. . . nearly fearless.

I am not sure, however that the casting people liked me. They seemed a little annoyed that I actually spoke rather than sat stoically like the other people in the room. It was like we were in a huge elevator--no eye contact, no words, but when anyone sneezed five or six people would immediately say, "Bless you." The only people that seemed to have permission to talk were the people in charge. The minute I tried to break the silence with a soft conversation, they came to get me for pictures. Josh, the boss of the room, took three pictures of me.

A few moments later he came out and made announcements, pretty much going over the pamphlet of papers he had given us.

Then I got ready to leave, shook the hands of Josh and Melissa--the other person in charge (I think that was also a shocker) and left. I got downstairs, saw the rain, and remembered my jacket. So I went and got it.

I know to some this may seem small and perhaps insignificant, but for me, it is essentially the equivalent of me climbing Mt. Fuji or something or a very large undertaking. Now I can join the extra-world a day at a time, maybe.

Yet, I am not convinced this is the best means whereby I can find out all about film in the short time I have allotted. Rather than be an extra, it is likely that I'll go around more and ask the crews a lot of questions. That is what my goal was originally.

Keep checking for further updates!

2 comments: